Empirica TradePad application is a multi-window desktop application, which supports:
- creation of customized workspace by selecting the most used functionality,
- free arrangement of windows.
All properties of that arrangement are associated with user’s local profile and stored locally (ex. for Windows OS, profiles are stored in Window’s user directory).
Application main view¶
After launching Empirica TradePad the main workspace window is displayed. The application workspace is divided into several sections:
- Menu & tool bar - contains menus, where you can find most of the application’s functionalities
- Quotations - displays a market events from the connected data feeds,
- Strategy Monitor - allows for browsing of active and historical strategies,
- Simulated Exchange Manager - helps user to define a nature of a simulated market,
- Orders Monitor - allows for browsing of active and historical orders,
- Portfolios - displays a “demo” portfolio,
- User strategies - helps to deploy a Strategies JAR archives and manage strategies available in this archives.
Most TradePad tables has few common functionalities described in details in the following paragraphs.
Columns - resizing and reordering¶
Order of columns can be changed in every TradePad table. You can also change columns’ width. Every resize or reorder of columns is saved at application shutdown and will be restored with the next TradePad launch.
Columns - visibility¶
Columns visibility can be set using the button in the upper right corner of every table. Clicking it opens a list of all columns where columns visibility in the table can be set to in or off. The way the columns are displayed in the table can be controlled by setting Horizontal Scroll and using Pack All/Selected Column(s) parameter:
- Horizontal Scroll - by default the width of columns is automatically adjusted, so that all the columns are visible in tables. Often, especially when table window is small, this may result in columns’ widths too narrow to be usable. Enabling Horizontal Scroll overrides this default settings and adds a horizontal scroll-bar on the bottom of the table. As columns are wider they may not all fit in the frame.
- Pack All Columns - automatically adjusts width of all columns to fit the widest cells’ content.
- Pack Selected Column - automatically adjusts width of the selected column to fit the widest cell’s contents.
Setting Workspace Mode¶
Empirica TradePad offers a users the ability to work with a several exchanges and a brokers within one running instance of the application. In the upper right corner of the main window there is the drop-down list entitled ‘Mode:’. Using this drop-down list user can choose the current exchange-broker configuration to work with. In the demo version of the TradePad only the BACKTEST and the SIMULATED EXCHANGE modes are available.
You can restore default workspace anytime by selecting File\Restore default workspace.
Multiple TradePad parameters can be set through a Settings window. The settings are stored separately for each user profile. You can open the Settings window by:
- selecting from menu File\Settings
- using default keyboard shortcut [Ctrl]+[O]
- using toolbar icon button from the Menu & Tool bar.
In this tab you can set default values for modes. It is possible to decide which exchange should be used as default and define default broker and feed for each exchange.
This tab contains settings related to orders creation and management.
Orders setting type (exists only in SIMULATED EXCHANGE mode)¶
- Follow send order - follows sent order and allows to replace it with any other one,
- Send order in series - helps to send many similar orders one after another.
- Check if order value greater than - here you can set a value limit for the new orders placed on the market; user will be notified when attempting to place an order with value equal or exceeding this setting,
- Show sending order confirmation - with this check-box enabled a confirmation alert will prompt every time when attempting to send manual order.
In this tab user can modify TradePad workspace behavior and the information presented in certain frames. Some changes made in the Display tab require TradePad’s restart to take effect.
- Always exit without prompt - ticking this check-box will disable the alert notification when closing TradePad,
- Limit of opened windows - for performance reasons the maximum count of opened windows is limited to 30. Users can lower this limit, depending on their workstation parameters. Application’s main frames do not count in,
- Loggers appending at bottom - decides if new logs in strategy execution logger append at the bottom or at the top.
- Load historical orders since - user may choose if there should be any historical orders loaded when launching TradePad. The data can be taken from past day, week, month, or not loaded at all (only current session will be shown).
- Load historical strategies since - this option allows you to limit past strategies shown inside the Strategy Monitor frame to only those from the previous day, week or month (counts as 1 day/7 days/30 days back from the current date),
- Rows in Strategy Monitor - this setting limits the number of strategies listed inside the Strategy Monitor frame; minimum value is 1, maximum is 1000 and the default is 100.
- Limit of selected instruments - the maximum number of instruments displayed inside quotations frames or added to a basket/group is limited to 1000 (by default it’s set to 200). Users can adjust this value to fit their workstation’s parameters.
- Expanding rows count - this spinner defines how many rows will be shown after double clicking the instrument’s name inside the Quotations frame.
Keyboard shortcuts Tab¶
Empirica uses keyboard shortcuts to provide quick and convenient way to invoke frequently used functionalities.
In the Keyboard shortcuts tab there’s a list of available functionalities (Actions) together with a short description and assignment of the shortcut key. To change the default shortcut, double click the current combination listed in the Key column of the respective Action. This opens Keyboard shortcut edition dialog where you can define new shortcut for selected Action.
Portfolios are collection of assets build as a result of transactions executed in Empirica Algorithmic Trading Platform. Every transaction (triggered by user manual order or user strategy) requires portfolio to be assigned to. Options described in the below are paragraphs are accessible only in the full version of the TradePad.
- Portfolio value estimation - choose which price will be used to calculate portfolio’s value and profit/loss (available options are the current Bid/Ask Price or the Last Transaction Price).
Strategies & Orders defaults¶
Default portfolio - this portfolio will be automatically set for new transactions e.g. when creating a new order or when creating a new strategy. In the Demo version it is allowed to have only one portfolio called “demo”.
User Portfolios in a Portfolio Monitor¶
In the demo version of the TradePad the only one portfolio, the “demo” portfolio, is listed inside of this table and it is not allowed to modify it or add any new portfolio.
Instrument tab is a presentation list of instruments defined in the system. It is a static view and the list cannot be edited. Available instruments are published by the exchange and can be edited only by the administrators.
For every incoming event, you can set a specific notification which will be shown in Alerts Notifications frame. Alerts tab allows for easy alerts management. A ticking check-box(es) in Active column specifies which events will be shown in Alerts Notifications widget. Moreover, a ticking check-box(es) in Play Sound column specifies which events will trigger audio alert for selected event. To add your own sounds you need to copy the sound file into Sounds folder in Empirica TradePad installation directory. Sound file’s size is limited to less than 1MB, and the file must conform to following specification:
- File Type: WAVE(.WAV)
- Mime Type: audio/wav
- Codec: PCM Audio (no codec required)
- Info: 44100Hz 1411 kb/s tot (2 chnls) or 44100Hz 706 kb/s (1 chnl)
Limit of rows in Alerts Notification Table - in this field you can set the limit of rows you want to be shown in Alerts Notifications table. This option requires restart of application to be applied.
Alerts Notification frame¶
Alerts Notification frame displays up to 100 recent alerts of types configured in Alerts tab in Settings dialog. You can invoke Alerts Notification frame by:
- selecting inside menu Tools\Alerts Notifications,
- using defined keyboard shortcut (default [Ctrl]+[E]),
- using the button from the Menu & Tool bar.
Event’s details (like alert time, event type and name, order or strategy id, instrument or strategy name etc) are displayed in Alerts Notification frame.
As observing logs can be tiring and tedious, user can specify custom strategy events which will trigger alerts notifications.
Logger frame is used to monitor events that have significant impact on the Empirica system, like: TradePad connecting/disconnecting from the Empirica Backend Components, strategies status change, order status change, error messages related to system operations.
You can invoke Logger frame by:
- selecting inside menu Tools\Logger,
- using defined keyboard shortcut (default [Crtl] + [L]),
- using the button from the Menu & Tool bar.